Monday, June 18, 2007

Support Group

Today at my field placement I got to sit it on a support group for adult males with mental illness. I appreciated the opportunity not only to see the similarities and differences in group work but also to hear the stories of these individuals.

It is not always obvious that a war happened here so recently. An amazing amount of reconstruction has taken place, and life seems "back to normal". One of the psychology students we met at the university here challenged whether Bosnia was an appropriate place for our work given that the war ended several years ago. At the same time, the effects of that war seem ubiquitous. It seems to seep into so many conversations and experiences, whether directly or indirectly, and is everywhere. Maybe that is just my view as an outsider. . .

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yep Amy and Josh have one too - http://www.thelingenfelsers.blogspot.com/ so you can keep up on all the baby news. Terry tries to keep me connected.

Anonymous said...

I am loving your blogging sight!!! Sorry about the snakes! Yikes. Hope you don't meet any! Jonathan has gotten a job in Topeka and Chelsea will be interning in Wyandott County. Both are pleased. Jonathan starts in two weeks meanwhile he will be moving to Lawrence. Becareful out there in the big world. Terry

Maria said...

I find the thoughts of the students very interesting. Here in Mostar, had I not known better, I would have guessed the war ended, say, 5 years ago rather than 12. Everyone talks about the war and what needs to be done to address problems caused by the conflict.